Interested in emerging market investments? Well you don’t need not look overseas, there may be plenty opportunities nearby.
Inner city landlords are able to create wealth by organizing neighborhoods. They create value by helping people reconnect to their communities and their work results in nicer communities and increased property values.
Before you’re in position to benefit from this property investment strategy, you will need to buy a piece of inner city real estate in the right location.
Here are 5 keys to ensure your success:
1. Find property investments near the edge of the inner city. Strong opportunities exist along the fringe of the “good” and “bad” parts of town. The goal of an inner city property investment is to profit from improving the “bad” edge of town. Buy near the fringe and work to connect your property to the “good” part of town.
2. Work with a local neighborhood watch groups. Future profits are directly tied to the effectiveness of grassroots advocacy groups. An emerging market landlord needs these groups to provide passion, credibility, emotional support, media connections, political influence, and more. They provide the leverage you’ll need to resolve issues that hurt the area’s repetition. Work to strengthen these groups, but not concoct one from scratch. Starting from scratch requires a tremendous amount of credibility that you may not have with the neighbors.
3. Buy property investments near a transit hub. One strategy is to create housing that appeals to echo-boomers. This group is interested in sustainability and mass transit options. Moreover, as the cost of oil increases, so will the demand for transit-supported communities. Buy close to a transit hub and capture the emerging demand for this feature.
4. Buy property investments large enough to make your efforts worthwhile. Use best practices, honed from over 40 years of neighborhood watch case studies and other community organization tactics, to transform the largest blighted property you can afford. Find the big problem and reap a big profit when it’s restored.
5. Buy property investments within the sphere of influence of redevelopment projects. Your local redevelopment agency will be able to tell you what private or public efforts are in the pipeline. You’ll want to consider properties near these sites to capture the excitement and economic energy associated with them. The promise of a better tomorrow is a very effective negotiating point to share while trying to lease your property.
Helping a community get back on its feet is rewarding and collecting the equity from restoring the area’s reputation is a well deserved prize. Is this wealth building strategy for you?
I love the business adage instructing investors to study the “apple tree” and place their baskets where “apples” will fall. It suggests that careful, strategic planning leads to profits, and I’ve personally found this to be the case. Use these tips to find ideal inner city property investments and, with some community development work, you will soon have a basket full of equity.